Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Is Here! | CCCS of Northeastern Iowa
Skip to Main Content

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Is Here!

For the last 50 years the IRS has been assisting people with tax preparations through their VITA program. VITA stands for Volunteers Income Tax Assistance and is FREE.  The VITA sites are run by IRS partners at various locations thought your town and staffed by volunteers.  To qualify for this service, you must fall in one of these categories:

  • Generally, make $60,000 or less
  • Disabled, or
  • Limited English-speaking taxpayers

VITA services are not only free, but they are also reliable and a trusted source for preparing tax returns.  All volunteers who prepare returns must take and pass a tax law training and meets or exceeds IRS standards.  The training includes maintain the privacy and confidentiality or all taxpayer’s information.

Before you go to your appointment, here is a list of items that you will need to bring.

    1. Proof of identification (photo ID)
    2. Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents 
    3. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
    4. Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
    5. Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
    6. Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
    7. Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
    8. Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
    9. A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
    10. Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
    11. To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
    12. Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
    13. Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
    14. Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

To find a location near you, call your local United Way by dialing 211 and they can provide you with the details of where, when and who can help you. Or you can visit the IRS website and use the locator tool to find a site near you.