Declaring bankruptcy - a way to start over
Bankruptcy is not for everyone, but for those who need a fresh start, declaring bankruptcy is an option. CCCS of Northeastern Iowa offers bankruptcy counseling and a complete line of credit counseling services. Our nationally certified credit counselors can help you weigh all of the pros and cons.
Bankruptcy Services include:
The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 requires that you complete an approved session of credit counseling before declaring bankruptcy. CCCS of Northeastern Iowa is proud to be one of the original providers of bankruptcy counseling and financial education services approved under the revised 2005 bankruptcy code. This session will be completed with one of our certified counselors. After completing the session, you'll receive a certificate and qualify to complete the bankruptcy filing process. Pre-bankruptcy counseling sessions will teach you about:
- The bankruptcy process and the consequences of declaring bankruptcy
- The difference between Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
- Alternatives: debt consolidation, debt management programs, other options for paying off debts
- A personal budget counseling session to help you examine your financial circumstances
Pre-discharge education workshop
Once your bankruptcy has been filed, but before it is discharged, the Bankruptcy Code requires that you complete additional training. Our Pre-discharge Education Workshop provides you with the information and skills you'll need to take charge of your finances. This workshop can be completed online or it is offered in our office once per month. After completing the workshop, you will receive a certificate to qualify for final discharge of your bankruptcy petition.
- The benefits and risks of declaring bankruptcy
- Developing sound financial habits and setting goals for your financial future
- Rebuilding your credit: understanding and using credit wisely
Bankruptcy counseling fees
To help defray the costs of this valuable service, we charge a $50.00 fee per person. Under certain circumstances, we can waive the fee. Fee waivers are based on applicable regulations, written verification of your family's monthly gross income, and Federal Poverty Level Guidelines.
Schedule an appointment
CCCS of Northeastern Iowa is committed to outstanding customer service. Our Client Support Department is open M-TH from 9am - 8pm and Friday from 9am-5pm EST. We provide a wide variety of other consumer credit counseling services.